Transfer an Out-of-State Title

Though every title situation is unique, here are the things you usually need to complete a title transfer of an out-of-state title:

  • Certificate of Title - The seller must provide you with the original certificate of title. There are several things to watch for when you receive the certificate of title:
    • Make sure the Vehicle or Hull Identification Number (VIN/HIN) on the document matches the VIN/HIN on the vehicle.
    • Make sure the seller has signed where necessary to release their ownership of the vehicle. Note that the Application for Duplicate Utah Title requires the seller to sign in two places.
    • Make sure the previous lien holder, if there is one printed on the face of the certificate of title, has signed to release their lien on the vehicle.
    • Make sure that the purchase date and purchase price are correctly filled in.

  • Application for Utah Title - A Form TC-656, "Application for Utah Title" must be completed by the new vehicle owners. This may be completed at the DMV at the time of transfer.

  • Safety and/or Emissions Inspection Certificates - If you plan on registering the vehicle, a safety and/or emissions inspection may be required. Click here to find out about inspection requirements.

  • VIN/HIN Inspection - Inspections of identification numbers are required for all vehicles or vessels to be titled in Utah for the first time. Safety inspection certificates are acceptable means of verification for your cars, trucks and motorcycles providing that the VIN is accurate on the safety inspection certificate. Click here for more information about these inspections.
  • If the vehicle is leased, make sure the lessor has provided their power of attorney, a billing statement, and their Utah sales tax number.




Related Information

Buying and Selling Vehicles - Click here for important information you need to know before you buy or sell a vehicle in Utah.

Non-residents, Students, and Military Personnel - Click here for important information you need to know about titling or registering your vehicles in Utah.

Registration - Click here to find out about Utah's registration requirements and fees.

Sales and Use Tax - Find out all about Utah's sales and use tax for vehicle purchases, including current rates.

Temporary Permits - A temporary permit may be necessary to allow you time to complete certain aspects of the title and registration process.

Scroll Up